Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
about 1 month ago
Health, Safety & Environmental Advisor
Techniche are working with a Leading UK Defence Organisation who are looking to appoint a Health, Safety & Environmental Advisor.
This role will be working with Qinetiq at the MOD Shoeburyness site they operate.
This role will provide competent and professional environment, health and safety expertise and advice in line with business needs within the site and across the Group. Because the local operations require significant environmental support, this role is focussed towards environmental aspects but also has a significant health and safety competence requirement.
The role will drive a step change in the EHS culture across the business contributing to improved EHS performance and may be required to deputise for other EHS advisors in their absence. The role will report to the Head of Health, Safety and Environment and will require travel to QinetiQ and other sites on occasion.
Experience & Qualifications
1. Experience, post qualification, as an environment and health & safety practitioner in a high-hazard industry with a good appreciation of COMAH.
2. Working knowledge and experience of ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 management systems.
3. Recognised training in and experience of accident investigation including root cause analysis techniques.
4. Knowledge and experience in working with UK Regulatory authorities.
1. Provide competent and technical environment, health and safety advice and guidance to business managers working in partnership with assurance managers.
2. Support practical implementation and delivery of EHS legislation, policy, strategy and objectives; applying high professional standards through building a strong professional internal network.
3. Support and assist site leadership teams to ensure robust, good quality environment, health and safety assessments are in place and maintained, scrutinising, coaching and developing assessor competency, and providing “hands-on” input in respect of complex and / or high hazard activities.
4. Monitor EHS performance across the business; supporting / conducting / leading inspection, tour and sampling programmes and support business areas in their preparation for ISO 14001 and 45001 audits.
5. Take the lead and drive specific Group environment, health & safety improvement programmes and collaboratively support programmes led by others, playing an active role in the development and delivery of QinetiQ’s EHS management system, objectives and work programmes.
6. Promote and champion a positive EHS management culture, actively seek continuous improvement, and ensure any significant lessons learned (e.g. from audits, incidents or best practices) are shared widely around the organisation.
7. Across the organisation and in partnership with the EHS advisor community, deliver the change programme through a process of mentoring, coaching and facilitating.
8. Promote a positive and innovative safety culture, seeking and contributing to the Safe for Life programme, and engaging with business management to ensure lessons learned are understood and embedded.
9. Maintain knowledge and understanding of current EHS legislation and good practice, and its implementation for QinetiQ. Track proposed changes, ensuring businesses and leadership teams are aware of any relevant impacts to enable them to maintain legal compliance.
10. Maintain effective engagement with internal and external environment, health & safety contacts/stakeholders around the organisation through site visits, remote collaboration, and participation at relevant site EHS meetings. Liaise with customers, enforcement authorities, EHS professional bodies, insurance or audit companies, as required.
11. Review EHS incident reporting, working with business / functional contacts to help them improve data quality, and support the investigation/management of EHS incidents, hazards or occupational ill health, as appropriate to business needs and using a risk-based approach.
12. Provide the wider EHS team with information and statistics on business performance as required.
13. Participate constructively in the preparation and conduct of site-level management reviews, providing insights and supporting the site leadership team to prepare reports and performance data
14. Participate in the regular review and development of QinetiQ’s EHS Policies and supporting documents on the Operating Framework, and any further guidance on specific EHS topics.
15. Support and help build EHS capability/competence through supporting the development of selected EHS training modules (for example: environmental awareness, environmental assessment, DSE user assessment, ISO 14001, ISO 45001, Sustainability Appraisals)