Plymouth, United Kingdom
£40.00 - £50.00 Per Hour
12 months ago
Principal Engineer – Civil External Works
Location: Plymouth (Full Time)
Rate: £40-50 per hour (Outside IR-35)
Duration: 6 months initially
Techniche are working with a large Engineering Contractor who are seeking an experienced Principal Engineer to oversee Civils Site External Works. This is a long term infrastructure project in Plymouth.
- Have civil engineering knowledge relevant to design of roads and drainage infrastructure, and general external works knowledge;
- Be able to demonstrate relevant knowledge and skills required in the technical management of complex design development throughout the design lifecycle;
- Provide expert advice to the sub-contracted design houses to enable them to develop an integrated design;
- Have a sound understanding of construction design and safety practice as relevant to discipline, post and project requirements;
- Have a sound project specification, planning, project management and budgeting experience;
- Have a sound understanding of Company and departmental procedures relating to Design, Health & Safety, Environment and Quality requirements, and ability to manage projects in accordance with these procedures;
- Have a working knowledge of relevant engineering office computer applications including BIM;
- Have experience of the design support to construction, operation, refit/repair of conventional and nuclear submarines and/or facilities or similar specialist applications.
- Develop the scope and System Requirements to define the separate sub-systems required.
- Develop SoWs for DH input to design and deliverables.
- Communicate and liaise with the other Design Leads, other Design Houses, UAG/XUAG, Technical Authority and other stakeholders.
- Agree and articulate how the external works design packages will deliver the capability functions. Capture of the design concepts within an overall Facility layout by interfacing with the discipline leads and Users.
- Co-ordinate the operational aspects of the system designs into an overall facility operational concept to demonstrate functional capability.
- Plan for effective project implementation ensuring compliance with all relevant company/project arrangements, including for example BIM.
- Ensuring effective Quality Management Arrangements, operate and deliver through compliance with the Business Management System and MIP Design & Safety Manual.
- Ensure that the processes and activities being managed are appropriately documented with appropriate records maintained and configuration and quality controls applied.
- Review DH Scheme Phase deliverables and process updated.
- Ensure that staff and contractors are familiar with the hazards and risks (Health, Safety & Environmental) associated with the work undertaken by the delegated engineering team through effective management and communication of the Risk Assessment.
The purpose of the Principal Engineer is to be responsible for delivery of the following scope items of external works elements:
- Facility Boundary (security fence)
- Facility Entry & Exit points
- Facility Roadways
- Facility Lay-apart / Laydown areas
- Waste Management Area
- Pedestrian Barriers
- Submarine Dock Access/Egress (SPOA)
- Vehicle Impact barriers
- Demountable Flood Barriers
- Dockside Ancillaries
- Drainage - Foul Water
- Drainage - Surface Water
- Ducts (for cables, small pipes)
- Trenches (cables, large pipes)
- Subway vertical access points (covers)
- Lighting, TV and comms column bases
- Plant Plinths
- Plant Perm Bunds
- Line Marking
- Miscellaneous Metalwork (incl. Bollards, Fairleads etc.)