Plymouth, United Kingdom
£40 - £50 per hour
about 1 year ago
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Mechanical Handling)
Location: Plymouth, Devon
Hours: 36 per week
Duration: 12 Months initially
Rate: £40-50 per hour
EXISTING SC SECURITY CLEARANCE IS PREFERRED FOR THIS ROLE BUT NOT ESSENTIAL (Valid & used within the last 12 months). Otherwise applicants must be eligible to achieve SC Clearance.
Techniche are working with a large Engineering Technology contractor who are seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer for work on Mechanical Handling projects to be based on site at the Davenport Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon.
This will initially be for a period of 12 months.
Outline of the assignment:
To assist the Mechanical Handling Engineering Lead in delivery of the mechanical handling / mechanical engineering work packages to the required scope, quality, schedule and cost.
Responsible for managing the technical deliverables of the mechanical engineering packages in line with the planned deliverables agreed by the Mechanical Handling Engineering Lead.
- Knowledge of concrete and steelwork re-preservation e.g. concrete repair, grit blasting, NDT, painting, LTQ records;
- Design of cranes and mechanical handling equipment e.g dock bottom lifts, davit arms, A-frames, lift plans.
- Design of seismic structures.
- Knowledge of material handling e.g use of forklifts, electric stackers and MEWPs.
- Knowledge of maintenance, logistics, materials handling, storage and transportation.
- Sound understanding of engineering design and safety practice as relevant to post and project requirements.
- Sound understanding of company and departmental procedures relating to Health and Safety, Design and quality
- The post holder must be able to demonstrate relevant knowledge and skills required in the technical delivery of complex design development throughout the design lifecycle
- Provide advice to the sub-contracted design houses to enable them to develop the design (answer Technical Queries).
- Sound understanding of engineering design and safety practice (SFR’s and safety case) as relevant to discipline, post and project requirements.
- Degree of planning and project management experience.
- Sound understanding of Company and departmental procedures relating to Design, Health & Safety and Quality requirements.
- Working knowledge of relevant engineering office computer applications (Word, Excel, OneNote, Inventor, Vault, Navisworks, MathCAD and Revit).
- Ability to deliver concept and optioneering studies including using 3D modelling to deliver concept designs.
- Fluent in writing design reports, holding design reviews and presenting to stakeholders.
- Experience of the design support to construction, operation, refit/repair of conventional and nuclear submarines and/or facilities.
- Understanding or working knowledge of dockside infrastructure and operations.
- Structures and materials operating in a marine environment.
Breakdown of responsibilities:
Within SQEP profile, supervising, preparing and/or checking designs, analyses, reports, drawings, specifications and other documents in support of Nuclear and Non-Nuclear related plant, facility and equipment within the company's licensed, authorised and operational sites, or in support of external contracts.
Participate in the problem solving for development of technical solutions to deficiencies or in the development of new designs.
Support the review and sentencing of new designs, methodology of construction and temporary works submitted to the Technical Authority.
To manage design work packages as Engineer, responsible as appointed by Manager. Supporting planning of activities, with respect to task durations, level of effort and estimated costs, through to provision of design deliverables with regular schedule reviews and progress reporting, utilising
Earned Value Management methodologies, and construction support.
Supervise and provide on-the-job guidance to the junior staff.
Make effective use of Learn from Experience information to develop and disseminate theoretical knowledge in relation to practical engineering and to maintain a record of development to substantiate the skills achieved.
Support development, construction, installation, commissioning, operation and maintenance of all Facilities to ensure that they comply with the design intent and DNSP's for Nuclear related
Works, together with all relevant Local and National Regulations and Legislation.
Support the on-site inspection of DRDL assets for their construction, maintenance and modification.
Maintain familiarity with DRDL procedures used within Facilities Engineering.