Plymouth, United Kingdom
£40 - £50 per hour
8 months ago
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Mechanical Services)
Location: Plymouth, Devon
Hours: 36 per week
Duration: 12 Months initially
Rate: £40-50 per hour
EXISTING SC SECURITY CLEARANCE IS PREFERRED FOR THIS ROLE BUT NOT ESSENTIAL (Valid & used within the last 12 months). Otherwise applicants must be eligible to achieve SC Clearance.
Techniche are working with a large Engineering Technology contractor who are seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer for work on Mechanical Services Projects to be based on site at the Davenport Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon.
This will initially be for a period of 12 months.
To assist the Mechanical Services Engineering Lead in delivery of the mechanical services related engineering work packages to the required scope, quality, schedule and cost.
Responsible for managing the technical deliverables of the mechanical services engineering packages in line with the planned deliverables agreed by the Mechanical Services Engineering Lead.
- Design of mechanical and nuclear process systems e.g. fresh water, demineralised water etc.;
- Design of industrial gas systems e.g. low pressure air, welding gases etc.;
- Design of mechanical building services;
- Design of pumping stations, including associated pipework and valves
- Design of mechanical ventilation systems
- Knowledge of seismic analysis for mechanical process equipment;
- Experience of substantiation of process equipment for justification of Nuclear Safety Functions.
- Sound understanding of engineering design and safety practice as relevant to post and project requirements.
- Sound understanding of company and departmental procedures relating to Health and Safety, Design and quality
- The post holder must be able to demonstrate relevant knowledge and skills required in the technical management of complex design development throughout the design lifecycle
Provide expert advice to the sub-contracted design houses to enable them to develop the design
- Sound understanding of engineering design and safety practice as relevant to discipline, post and project requirements
- Sound project specification, planning, project management and budgeting experience
- Sound understanding of Company and departmental procedures relating to Design, Health & Safety and Quality requirements, and ability to manage projects in accordance with these procedures
- Working knowledge of relevant engineering office computer applications
- Experience of the design support to construction, operation, refit/repair of conventional and nuclear submarines and/or facilities
Details of the Assignment:
Lead and manage one or more technical design packages agreeing project related objectives, managing designer performance and making appropriate technical management responses. Provide Subject Matter Expert advice as per discipline.
Ensure that the design documentation covers the scope of operations required by the Project Manager and is produced to agreed standards, schedule and budget.
Plan for effective project implementation, identifying key factors and leading the project’s technical planning process.
Ensure effective Quality Management Arrangements, operate and deliver through compliance with Babcock’s Business Management System and Technical Manual.
Ensure that the processes and activities being managed are appropriately documented with appropriate records maintained and configuration and quality controls applied.
Within SQEP profile, supervising, preparing and/or checking designs, analyses, reports, drawings, specifications and other documents in support of Nuclear and Non-Nuclear related plant, facility and equipment within the company's licensed, authorised and operational sites, or in support of external contracts.
Participate in the problem solving for development of technical solutions to deficiencies or in the development of new designs.
Support the review and sentencing of new designs, methodology of construction and temporary works submitted to the Technical Authority.
Supervise and provide on-the-job guidance to the junior staff.
Make effective use of Learn from Experience information to develop and disseminate theoretical knowledge in relation to practical engineering and to maintain a record of development to substantiate the skills achieved.
Support development, construction, installation, commissioning, operation and maintenance of all Facilities to ensure that they comply with the design intent and DNSP's for Nuclear related Works, together with all relevant Local and National Regulations and Legislation.
Support the on-site inspection of DRDL assets for their construction, maintenance and modification.
Maintain familiarity with DRDL procedures used within Facilities Engineering.